1.01.2012

12 in 2012

This is the year the world is supposed to end.

When I was in college, there was a brief period of time when I was obsessed with this conspiracy. I read way too much about it and got pretty freaked out. The obsession has passed, but sometimes I still wonder what would happen if it turns out to be true. What if we only have 12 more months to live our lives before it's all over?

Obviously, I hope it's not true, and I'm sure it's not. But, still. Food for thought.

So, this year, I've decided I'm going to try and live my life like the world really is going to end. What if this really is all the time we have left? Am I going to spend it sitting around doing nothing? It's time to start challenging myself to live like there really is no tomorrow. Because you never know, maybe there won't be.

I came up with a plan: Create 12 goals, representing one for each month of the year. Some of these goals are on-going, so they can't be truly crossed off until next December 31. I plan on crossing off at least one goal per month, and I will be sharing my journey on this blog.

12 in 2012:
1. Take a cooking class. I'd really like to either take a couple's cooking class or take a calligraphy class. Which leads to my next goal...

2. Learn calligraphy. It's a really big thing nowadays to have this talent, which lends itself beautifully to stationery and wedding invitations, which is my next goal...

3. Gain more freelance work. I'm already starting to have freelance work come in, and with friends starting to get engaged, I've already got some prospective work on the horizon. This is really what I want to do full-time, eventually, so I'm excited to get things started. This will be a goal I'll definitely be able to fulfill, and I can't wait! 

4. Move. I've really enjoyed my time in Ann Arbor, but it's time to move on. I'd like a change of scenery, and to finally get away from my neighbor who practices dance routines above my head at 2AM and makes the whole room shake. See ya.

5. Update my blog on a regular basis. There are so many inspiring blogs I follow. There are so many successful, independent women who have managed to make their blog a giant part of their career, and have been able to make it their full-time job. It's a dream of mine to someday make it to that level. If all those talented ladies can do it, there's no reason why I can't do it too. Plus, many of them seem to have photographer boyfriends helping with their photos. Win!
 
6. Open an Etsy shop. I created an etsy account probably 4 years ago, and I still haven't set up a shop. Now's finally the time.

7. Make art again. After all, I'll need something to sell in my shop! It's been a long struggle to draw and paint ever since starting my design job right after graduation. There's no more excuses. I need to start drawing again.
 
8. Go on a road trip to the West Coast. It's been hard to get away, not having enough vacation time to do all the things I want to do. And with most of my friends on the East Coast, I end up going to the same places every summer. But I've always wanted to take the trip out west. I was 2 years old the last time I went, so obviously it doesn't even count. I want this year to be the year!

9. Make more things with my hands. I've been really inspired by all the DIY fashion blogs I've come across in the past few months. It would be nice to make something myself rather than buy something crappy from the mall that everybody else has.

10. Make a real website. Right now, this blog is really the only online portfolio that I have. Time to change it up!

11. Try new foods. I've been a vegetarian for the past 2 and a half years. This year, I'm going to not be so hard on myself about it. It's become sort of a game to me- if I eat a piece of chicken I feel like I failed the game. It shouldn't be like that! Everything in moderation. Maybe I'll even try seafood.

12. Never allow myself to be bored. Most of the time, I come home from work and sit on the couch, not knowing what to do with myself (and not really wanting to do anything.) As the saying goes, only boring people get bored. Time to start living!

It feels really good to have concrete goals that are within my reach. Some of these will be easy, others will be a challenge. 2011 was really a pretty slow year for me. This is going to be my year!